The Florida – Key West Lighthouse began construction in 1825 and stands 65 feet above the blue waters of Key West. The lighthouse was constructed to assist ships in navigating the waters surrounding Key West, which contain dangerous rocks and coral reefs. Because of its proximity to the water, the lighthouse has been damaged and destroyed by several hurricanes and was repaired or rebuilt each time.
lighthouse key west, 2
The original lighthouse keeper, Michael Mabrity passed away in 1832 and his wife, Barbara became the keeper and remained there for 32 years until she was fired for statements allegedly made about the Union during the Civil War. In 1846, the Great Havana Hurricane completely leveled the lighthouse and killed 14 people who had made their way from a ship to the tower for protection.
After many years of service to the ships and land dwellers of Key West, Florida – Key West Lighthouse was decommissioned by the United States Coast Guard in 1969. Monroe County then took over control of the lighthouse. The lighthouse and the buildings on the same grounds are now used by the Key West Arts and Historical Society as a museum. The lighthouse contains 88 steps along a circular stairway to the upper deck.