Louisiana has several historical lighthouses that were constructed from 1831 through the early 1900s. They are used to navigate ships. The Chandler Island Lighthouse near New Orleans is still used for navigation in the National Wildlife Refuge. It was built in 1848 and is managed by the U.S. Coast Guard and the Fish and Wildlife Service.
Another Louisiana lighthouse is the New Canal Lighthouse, located on Lake Pontchartrain near the entrance of the canal. It is open to the public. It was built in 1838. The lighthouse is made of wood and has a bell tower. It is managed by the U.S. Coast Guard. The lighthouse was restored in 1976.
lighthouse louisiana, 2
South Pass Range Lighthouse is located near Venice and the entrance of the Mississippi River. This lighthouse was built in 1838. It is made of iron and has two towers. It is managed by the U.S. Coast Guard and used to navigate ships.
The Southwest Reef Lighthouse was made of iron plate in 1858. It has a strange square- pyramid- like shape. It was relocated from Atchafayla Bay to the town of Berwick to be used as part of the Lighthouse Park. It is open to the public and owned by the town of Berwick.
Another lighthouse is the Tchefuncte River Range Rear Lighthouse. It is located on North Side Lake Pontchartrain. It was built in 1838 from stone and brick. The town of Madisonville and the U.S. Coast Guard manage this property. The lantern was installed on the lighthouse in 1868. The lighthouse is used for active navigation of ships with plans to turn lighthouse into museum.