The Erie Land Lighthouse is one of four milestone lighthouses in Pennsylvania. Standing at 49 feet, it is also known as the Old Presque Isle Lighthouse. It was originally constructed in 1818. It is located in Land Lighthouse Park at the end of Lighthouse Street, downtown, in Erie, Pennsylvania.
lighthouse pennsylvania, 2
The second lighthouse is Erie Harbor North Pier Lighthouse. Standing at 34 feet, the Erie Harbor North Pier Lighthouse is also known as the Presque Isle North Pier Lighthouse. It was originally constructed in 1830. It is located on the north side of the Erie Harbor channel entrance, at the eastern end of Presque Isle State Park, in Erie, Pennsylvania.
The third is the Presque Isle Lighthouse. Standing 63 feet, it was originally constructed in 1872. It is also located at Presque Isle State park, off Pine tree road (and you guessed it), in Erie, Pennsylvania.
The fourth, seemingly small at 30 feet, holds its own ground on the eastern shore of the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, is the Turtle Rock Lighthouse. It was originally constructed in 1887.
These once prominent towers marked coastlines with their lights to assure safe entries into the harbor. Some old captains will swear by oath, all they had to do was control the ship, and follow the light, that some will say, can be seen for miles. Since their glory days, they’ve been restored and historic stories surround them, inviting all guests to share their stories, and understand the history of these once great towers.