The Texas Bolivar Point Lighthouse was built in 1872 and is located near the city of Galveston. Standing at 65 feet tall, the lighthouse, which is covered in iron, served the area from its completion until 1933 when it was decommissioned. A known landmark of the area, the monument is now entirely black after years of wear and is easily spotted due to its distinct look.
lighthouse bolivar, 2
Although the Texas Bolivar Point Lighthouse is no longer open for visits to the public, its historical significance still holds a lot of weight in the area. The lighthouse withstood two major hurricanes, one in 1915 and the more infamous and impressive Galveston Hurricane of 1900. During this particular storm, many people in the area took shelter in the lighthouse itself and were consequently able to stay alive – despite the immense destruction of the storm.
Despite efforts by members of the public to continue using the lighthouse in its original function, the effects of the Great Depression proved to be too much and the Lighthouse Service decided to shut the structure down. The lighthouse is now owned by the Boyt family, after E.V. Boyt bought the structure for $5,500 in 1947.