The state of Wisconsin, having coasts along Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, possesses several beautiful lighthouses. The Apostle Islands, a chain of 22 islands along the coastline of Lake Superior, are the homes of some of the finest lighthouses in Wisconsin.
The Raspberry Island Lighthouse is considered by many to be the finest of the Apostle Islands group. The lighthouse was constructed in order to light the way to the port of Bayfield, Wisconsin.
The first lighthouse on Rasberry Island was built in 1862. This structure received a complete renovation in 1906 allowing the lighthouse to provide for a keeper, two assistants and their families.
lighthouse wisconsin, 2
This white, two-story lighthouse with a bright, red roof is the easiest of the Apostle Island Lighthouses to visit. Guided tours are available throughout the summer months.
The Sand Island Lighthouse, although automated, is still working casting out its light across Lake Superior. This brick structure with green shutters has a light housed on top of an octagonal tower. President Kennedy visited this lighthouse just before his death in 1963.
The light at the Outer Island Lighthouse sits on top of a large, gleaming white tower. The tower and the house next to it were built in 1874. The house is a large, brown, three-story structure. This lighthouse was built to guide ships around the island as they traveled to the ports of Superior, Wisconsin and Duluth, Minnesota. Today, this lighthouse uses solar energy to power its light.
Other lighthouses in the Apostle Islands group are the Old Michigan Lighthouse, Old LaPorte Lighthouse, Devil’s Island Light Tower, New LaPorte Light Tower, Chequemegon Point Light Tower, and the New Michigan Light Tower.